Monday, February 8, 2010

Our Pet Food and Gluten

I am a dog lover from way back. I've always had dogs and always will have dogs in my life. I owe a lot to my dogs and I want them to have the best of the best of everything, from medical care to dog food.

We are currently feeding Nutro Holistic brand food to our five large dogs. Our smallest dog weighs 40 pounds. We have a brother and sister Border Collie pair, a Shiloh Shepherd, a Sheltie mix and a dog I named Monster, who appears to be part Irish Wolfhound and part Australian Shepherd. He was dumped out here in the country and he was quite the biter when he arrived, hence his name. I taught him that he didn't need to bite any more, though we have to watch him around some men he meets that he doesn't trust. I feel certain that some bozo man was mean to Monster when he was a puppy and Monster remembers it and thus he is always on guard around men he doesn't know.

I have been very concerned -- as are millions of pet owners -- about all of the news articles regarding tainted dog food. It makes me sick to even think about the caring dog owners who kept trying to get their dogs to eat more food but the dog was sick from that very food . . . but there was no way for the owner to know that until it was too late for the dog.

I am beginning to suspect that gluten may have some of the same negative effects in our dog's food that it has in ours. If it isn't good for our bodies, why would it be good for a dog's? We are seeing huge amounts of dogs with thyroid issues and aggression is on the rise as well. In fact, it is the number one problem dog owners face today nationwide. I have no doubt that irresponsible breeding and the vast puppy mills located everywhere but concentrated in places like Ohio and Pennsylvania contribute to the genetic mess that breeds aggression into dogs . . . but I also suspect gluten plays a role.

I am going to search for a high quality dog food that doesn't contain gluten. When I find it, I will let you know and feel free to drop me an email if you are already feeding your dog a gluten-free commercial feed.

Here is an article of interest: Las Vegas couple that ran ChemNutra sentenced to probation

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment